Aug 7, 2008

Backlog: Korea Day 2

Replies:
AN - I will always be online during working hours on weekdays! Catch ya on msn!
AHSONG - Im touched by your msg! Hope im still on ur wallpaper ;)
Jasmin - Keep in touch! I use your Agnesb. every night to record my expenses! How extravagant!
Bitsies - Yep, meeting Minhwee is a miracle here! Hope u girls r ready for school!

***

Life in Korea had been good so far, minus some lil' hiccups here and there. As the koreans in my internship company can't speak english, Weiqi and I almost had nothing to do everyday. We spend the time in the office surfing websites and planning our after-work programme!




Photos from Richard's camera. We went to visit a shrine!


This must be the best buy within the first 3 days! My lovely umbrella SGD 16.20!

Hmm. Household chores are unavoidable when you are alone overseas. Don't worry about me if you do, coz I have successfully did a few times laundry (machine+handwash), clear the bins and clean the floor! Im pretty surprised by my eagerness to keep the room clean here because I hardly put in any effort back at home. Im sure you get what I mean!





Welcome to Hanyang University Seoul Campus!


Guess what! Its a subway station!


My favourite photo so far :)


Hanyang University Subway

Its really not easy to move in big groups. In a way I am glad that Im working at Yujin with Weiqi only, and with Nina, Naiyan, Nicole, Richard and Sky nearby. We usually meet for dinner after work.


Huixian proposed this shot!


Melissa always look good when being caught unaware!


Seeeee! Even their subway station is designed! Or did they left it raw? Haha!



Playing with bricks again! I heart their subway stations! Though I always lose my way inside hahaha! They have a not-so-simple subway system consisting of 9 routes!


Lightbulbs for sale! The way they hung it makes me wanna buy the entire set! hahahaa!



The long brick wall greeted us outside the shrine.







Its really a library for use!


They say Mel and I don't look out of proportion in the traditional korean room!






Notice how the bricks are laid! 3 dual row tiles separated by 2 rows of vertical standing tiles! Simple patterns like this demarcated and dominated the way you move. Interesting!


Vast area of open space!





reminded me of the landscape design I did when I was working in DP Architects last month!



Old folks enjoying the breeze in the park! How often do we see that in Singapore?! Our parks are ironically the hottest spots on the sunny island!




And then we move to the streets. Roadside stalls!


The guys and my brolly! Colourful shirts they have ;)




Call me crazy but I think umbrellas are a must-buy in Seoul!



Red bean pancake which looked similar to those from Japan! They taste very different though - the ones we had were more crispy but the red bean paste were incomparable to those from Jpn!



Its lunch time! More than often we gotta take out our shoes and sit on the floor for our meals! Thats why i hardly wear skirt in Korea :(



The bigger version of xiao long bao hahahhaaha! SUPER FILLING CAN!



We usually dine in such small restaurants run by a single family. I think such places make one feel at home :) They are not too expensive either!


The building facades here are definitely much more impressive than those in our lil' red dot.


Read your palms in the middle of the road?






The making of Muah-chi! I think they don't taste as nice as what we have in the Singapore's pasar malam hahahaa!


Graffiti art on e walls turn art gallery?


Cooked silkworms! Eeeeeeeeeeew!







We had dinner at this italian restaurant! The food wasn't really fantastic but we were impressed by the architecture ;) Lush green walls!


Aww. My 2nd fav shot so far. I took it while the car was moving towards me!








awed by the arts centre! totally in brick! Check out the brick patterns!


Our colourful men!

Its gonna be a long journey in Korea. I guess its not as simple as an architectural trip it is, but also a good long period for self-reflection. People and buildings filled my vision constantly, and it could get scarier and scarier sometimes. Ah, lets just have some fun, shall we?

On a lighter note, I'll be getting a korean handphone soon! Everyone will need one to contact each other within Korea and we can bring it back to Singapore! YAY! It is common to see the subway route map and dictionary/language translation services in the phones! Ahhhhh I cant wait to get one in my hands!


Oh! GUO PAPA AND GUO MAMA! Next fri is Korea's National Day if Im not wrong! I think a few of us will be going Pusan over the long weekend. I'll keep u updated! :)
Alternatively, you may wish to see more of our pictures at Richardhamida and Seoulfarmiredo!

0 comments: