Jul 29, 2010

For the Individualists

"Society’s “competitive edge” is marked by its ability to think for itself, not by a censor’s arbitrary scissors. I am responsible for my morals and values, not the censor. If I’m not the best judge of what is “appropriate” for me, what makes the censors think they are better? And why do they claim they are “protecting” us, when they are harming Singapore’s development into a global city—and assaulting my right to judge for myself? It’s time to say thanks but no thanks to censorship. It’s time to let me decide." - Let Me Decide



And how can we miss out Royston Tan when we talk about the film industry in Singapore? His witty remarks and not-so-subtle sarcasm was spilled all over the short film below, after his film "15" got 27 cuts from the Singaporean censors!



Food for thought:

Even if self-censorship is granted, do you think Singaporeans will be disciplined enough to not complain/criticize about the government's choice of film when we choose to watch a gross, horror film at our own risk?

0 comments: