May 10, 2010

I paid school fees for this too!!

This was how I spent my 2 hr break in between German Language lecture and tutorial on some Fridays during my last semester.


It was my first time using watching movie in the school library!! I love the vast amount of film collection in school, especially the local and/or artistically acclaimed ones. I felt like I've finally done justice to my school fees HAHAHA!

My first movie was Tan Pin Pin's Invisible City. I heard of this title few years back but never thought I'd get hold of it one day because it seemed so difficult to understand. I was browsing through Tan Pin Pin's film collection in the library's catalogue that day and decided to start off with this. I was glad that it wasn't as incomprehensible as I thought it would be! I appreciate the different approach she used to bring her message across and really made me wonder whats in the minds of these filmmakers... They have such unique way of thinking!

I think Royston Tan's 4:30 was less bearable than the one above. There was much lesser dialogues here, which meant that the casts was really expressive. From a novice point of view, I was impatient with the movie because there is only very subtle clues to what the story is about. Yet again, I'd agree that a piece of artwork is successful if it creates a reaction. Does this apply to films too?

This has got to be my favourite! Wong Kar Wai's In the Mood for Love. I really love every scene in the movie because I find them all very beautifully taken. I was very impressed by how the director left out the unimportant characters visually and represent them only by a voice. I don't know how to describe this clever play of hierarchy. You have to watch it for yourself. The simple plot didn't take a lot of words to tell you whats going on. The music explains everything with its seductive yet classy melody. Maggie Cheung became my new idol since then. She redefined beauty and her acting is taken to another level of grace and depth. In my opinion, she complements the cheongsam, not the other way round.


Since we are at the topic of films and idols, I want to share with you this movie I watched last Saturday. Coco and Igor is showing at GV's Cinema Europa exclusively.


I've always admire Coco Chanel's confidence and independence. Her life was so dramatic that it became good story plots for filmmakers over the years. Despite her high profile affairs, I see her as the female icon for women today, in the fashion industry or not. Putting her fashion foresight aside, her elegance and fearless attitude is admirable. Anna Mouglalis's portrayal of such an iconic legend in Coco & Igor seems so effortlessly stylish and natural. It is difficult not to compare her portrayal of Chanel with Audrey Tautou's with the films’ releases being few months apart. Though both Mouglalis and Tautou are beautifully sophisticated as Coco Chanel, I prefer Tautou's depiction in Coco before Chanel. Her performance is strong and she owns every scene that she is in. Once she steps onto the screen it is hard to notice any other actor as she has such a powerful presence.

Thats Coco Chanel for you.

0 comments: