Mar 2, 2010

The Classics

I never believe in paying for a brand, but I believe in paying for a design and buying that story the designer tells. If I could afford luxury goods, I believe only the Classics are worth my money, for everything else from $50 to $50000 look good too, but only Classics will champion the language of fashion for as long as I live. To me, Classic designs have a concept. Here are some stories I adore and I'd like to share.


Among the various Tiffany collection, I love this the most. I like the story that came with it. The utopian idea of lost and found, which passed on generations over generations.



Undeniably, diamonds are the centre of attention in all Harry Winston jewels but for this collection, I love the ingenious 'H' and 'W' prong setting more than anything else. If you think that it is unstylish to have Harry Winston's initials bluntly on the ring, think again. For an engagement ring, 'H' and 'W' could romantically express Husband and Wife. Why not?

This has to be my favourite of all. The Cartier Love Bracelet, once worn, can only be opened with a tiny screwdriver that comes with the bracelet. Now you know its not that easy to unlock this love. I say, give the screwdriver to your man. He can unlock it anytime but he wouldn't if he is worthy of your love.

There is Love Ring and Love Bracelet for Men too, but you know, the story is different. They don't need the screwdriver.


The Tank collection from Cartier didnt have a story as sweet as those above. I love it simply because its timeless aesthetics transcends the ages. We grew up looking at this watch didn't we?

"Louis Cartier drew inspiration for the innovative design of the watchcase from the armored body and caterpillar treads of the first tanks that commanded the battlefields of Europe. The Tank collection's singular shape marks a departure from traditional round watches." Cartier.com

It is such a joy to study and look at these timeless designs. In my humblest opinion, classic designs are the work of true designers but a talented designer might not necessarily produce a classic piece of work.

2 comments:

An said...

Good post puny! :)

Yut said...

Annnnn! i wanna see u w/o braces!