Feb 21, 2009

9 years ago and now

two weeks ago I went back to my Alma matar, Anglican High School, for a Chinese New Year alumni reunion lunch. Not only did I see familiar teachers and friends, the changes in the school itself was what struck me the most.


I never noticed that we had sky lights at the concourse! It isnt new, is it?


Energy saving by using sky light instead of electrical lighting in the day. Go Green!!


Theoretically, theres no such thing as No CCA in AHS. You are automatically in the Gardening Club if you have no CCA! HAHAHAHA! Welcome to our hydroponic nursery! Come to think of it, our school is quite UP lah! You tell me how many schools have a hydroponic green house in the campus?!


My beloved snack stall in the canteen! Heres where i buy my daily dosage of top-quality Yan Yan :) No lao-hong oh!


while the rest of my friends eat from the decent proper food stalls. I wonder what are they selling now! I have very little impression of what they sold during my time there though. heehee!


Art Club at work! They could be from the council too actually. Woaaahhhh Murral painting... I've never done it before HAHAHA!


I spent my first 2 years of flag raising ceremony at this parade sqaure every morning. We'll have morning exercise(早操)together (imagine: the whole school!!!) every Wednesday after flag raising and on Fridays, the school's concert band will play for the national anthem and school song instead of the recorded melody. Cool huh?!

the last 2 years of my lesson time was spent in the container classrooms located at the same parade square above. A pity I didnt know how to appreciate architecture then (not that I do now), containter classrooms sounds fascinating isnt it! the mobility and constructability of containers... We even have container retail concept today?! Why didn't I appreciate my container classroom then!


圣洁公义 greet us every morning as we walked up to the concourse. Cheena as it may seemed, I am still quite proud of the school's rooted Chinese values :)


One of these rooms on the left used to be Guitar Room. It has now become.... Alumni Club Room. oh yah. so where is the new guitar room now?! YIHAO!!


This is what I saw at the other side after taking the above picture. Im just pretty impressed by the mini courtyard space that allows natural light to flow in between 2 blocks. Is skylight a characteristic feature for the school in this phase of construction?


Hoho. Check out our Stadium! Old but I think it has a very strong flavour of its own. C'mon, the school's very own indoor stadium! What a luxury after all!


The many basketball matches we had watched here. I guessed the school's spirit and bonding came from supporting our own school team on such occassions. I really miss those times! (not to mention the bball hunks from the opponent teams... woolalala! HAHAHA)


Okay, now theres a new Indoor Stadium built right next to it and of course, the old one is going to be demolished. Thats a great pity. Though some might see it more like a factory than a stadium, it was pretty obvious to me that it is a new stadium to replace the old one at one glance. I guess the retention of similar exposed steel structure and general form and visual connection between the outside and the inside (existence of the windows) reminded me of the old stadium experience.

I think the new stadium is appropriate. It isn't something spectacular, but it definitely fits sensitively into the campus by keeping the memories of the school. A lesson learnt, definitely.


Just as I was looking through the list of donors for the stadium's redevelopment fund, I saw W ARCHITECTS in the list! OH MY GOD. Later I realised that Mok Wei Wei (renowned local architect, MD of W Architects) was an alumni of the school!

Sidetrack a lil', Mok Wei Wei is often known for the spatial qualities of the traditional courtyard he instills in his design and he traced this back to his Chinese roots. The exhibition Chinese: More or Less that I attended 2 years ago had a very Chinese-style courtyard setting to display Mok Wei Wei's projects. Thanks to Dr Erwin Viray I got to know more about this successful architect.

oh my holy god! he was from AHS?! HAHHAHAA Im so proud to be from AHS too!!! Now I wonder if he had participated in any part of the school's reconstruction process! The new buildings? the stadium? WAHAHA!!!

自high.

0 comments: